Things of interest

Quotes

"Home is not places, it is love." -- "Home Is Not Places" by The Apache Relay

Fairy Poodle

Fairy Poodle

My Thoughts

Sing loudly, passionately, with all your heart, for you've nothing to lose.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Two strange, ominous questions.

Hello, all.
I'm posing two questions to all of you who read. These questions have been on my mind a lot lately, and I wanted to share them somewhere.

First:
We all have certain "faces" we put on for others. We act a certain way around our teachers, which is different from the way we act around our parents, which is different from the way we act around our friends. We have a different mask we wear around everyone. If that is so, who are we? When are we ourselves, in the context of social relations? How can we judge who we are?

Which leads to the second, a similar question:
We all dance on the strings of others, to an extent, at least. We all have certain expectations that others put on us, whether they be to achieve a high standard, to have good grades, behave a certain way, wear a certain mask. Our parents, our teachers, our friends all expect us to act a certain way.
What then, would happen if we were to fail to live up to those expectations?

For those of you who don't know me, I'm an overachiever and a perfectionist. I always set the bar really high for myself. And thus, other peoples' expectations can tend to be very high. And when I fail to live up to them, as is inevitable, some of them tend to be very disappointed in me. As of now, I'm a (nearly) straight-A student (curse you physics I) and a respectful, obedient, responsible son, and a (relatively) good example to my siblings. Today, I speculated something. What if everything were to fall apart? What if I were to collapse into drug or alcohol addiction? Who would still be here for me? Who would still care? Who would still like me? I can think of very few people in my life who would still love me and talk to me if I went that far off the edge. If I failed to live up to those expectations. But then, they're also people who know me for who I am and don't pressure me with expectations. I guess that's how you find out who your true friends are, right?

Anyway, those are my two questions. Answer them or don't, it's up to you.
They're just things that have been on my mind over the past week or so, and I needed somewhere to write it, so hey, my blog works, right?

See you guys later,
T-WAC

3 comments:

  1. Good points. I think the people who don't bury you under their expectations are most definitely the true friends, and the people you can truly be yourself around. Simple and easy. The ones who, if you were to spiral completely out of control, would leave you alone, are not the people you should surround yourself with. Quality over quantity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I would tend to agree. I have very few close friends, and I'm very thankful for the ones I have. I'm just glad that I have people who are willing to put up with me on the bad days, LOL.

      Delete
    2. Me too. At the beginning of this year, I decided to cut loose those people who did nothing but put me down and drag me along for the ride, and I'm a much happier person for it. To be perfectly honest, I think they are too, haha.

      Delete

You have been commanded by the Fairy Poodle to leave a comment (and vote on my polls)!

Labels

Do Not Eat the Fairy Poodle!

Do Not Eat the Fairy Poodle!