Things of interest

Quotes

"Home is not places, it is love." -- "Home Is Not Places" by The Apache Relay

Fairy Poodle

Fairy Poodle

My Thoughts

Sing loudly, passionately, with all your heart, for you've nothing to lose.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 4 of the thirty-day song challenge

Arrghh!!!
Okay, I posted day 4 yesterday, and today it's gone!
Oh well. Luckily, my posts get sent to my gmail account so I was able to rescue it. Here it is.

Day 4 of the thirty-day song challenge
Hello, and welcome to day four! Man, I thought I was going to be getting a vacation this summer! As it turns out, I have to do scholorships! A whole bunch of them! Blaugh! Okay, that was irrelevent to...
Hello, and welcome to day four!
Man, I thought I was going to be getting a vacation this summer! As it turns out, I have to do scholorships! A whole bunch of them! Blaugh!
Okay, that was irrelevent to the topic of the post....
And one more irrelevant comment: I'm listening to the film score from the movie "Eragon." Now, the music is very good. But did any of you see the movie? Or read the book, for that matter? To the movie's credit, the special effects were amazing. I mean, that huge blue-flame explosion that happened when the main character, Eragon, shot the arrow at the urgal was amazing! But other than that, they destroyed the storyline. Characters appeared at times when they shouldn't have, they didn't act the way they did in the book, and some didn't appear at all. And worse, they minced the story into tiny fragments and then cut-and-pasted it together using crappy Elmer's glue. Well, not literally. The point is, they killed the story.
Now, one fact of which I have just become aware is that, at the end of the soundtrack, there are two extra songs, one by Avril Lavigne (Keep Holding On), and one by someone called "Jem."
I have no clue who this Jem person is, but that's beside the point.
Anyway, Jem's song, "Once in Every Lifetime", is one of those songs which basically repeat "you can do anything you set your mind to" and "believe in yourself" and "follow your dreams -- it's your destiny" over and over and over until I'm ready to puke.
I know we've all heard songs like that that they throw into kids movies. Some *cough cough Pokemon cough cough*  are worse than others. But to put this into a movie geared towards teenagers is insane. I know that I just said all the same "believe in yourself" stuff just a few posts back. Cause I've learned that's the only way you'll ever amount to anything in life. But the difference is that it was not with a song with cruddy hooks and lousy instrumentation and loads of cliches that I communicated the message.
Honestly, I cliches are easy to understand, but if you're going to write a song about "believing in yourself" and all of that crap, at least put some talent into it! You know, like good instrumentation ("Once in Every Lifetime" wasn't so bad in this regard), original lyrics, and just maybe communicating the point in some way a little more witty than "your heart will lead you to your destiny?" Come on!
Okay, random tangent there! Back to business.
Today's topic is a song that makes me sad. This one was pretty easy. There are two songs I'm posting here because they both make me equally sad. The first is "Missing" by Evanescence. Amazing song. I don't know why this one didn't become a hit. Then again, it was probably too dark and depressing for top 40 radio. Here it is.

They don't actually have a video for this one, so this is the video with the lyrics. This has to be one of the most depressing songs ever.
The second is, again, by Evanescence. Some of you (Savanna, Shannon) already know this one. It's called "Like You."
In terms of musical composition and lyrical depth, this song exceeds all expectations. It's not outright obvious about it's subject matter, yet it states its point in a way that makes you think a little bit.
This one is also way too depressing for top 40 radio. I listened to this twice in a row and couldn't listen to Evanescence (or anything even somewhat sad) for a week. But it is still, despite how depressing it is, an amazing song.


This one doesn't have a video either, so I found one with the lyrics.
So, what am I doing tomorrow.
I honestly don't remember. It might be a song that reminds me of someone, but I'm not quite sure. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
That's all for now.... Back to the scholorships!
T-WAC

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have been commanded by the Fairy Poodle to leave a comment (and vote on my polls)!

Labels

Do Not Eat the Fairy Poodle!

Do Not Eat the Fairy Poodle!